Recommended Pairing: Cast Wines N/V Blanc de Noirs
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tenders & Savory Pumpkin Sage Waffles with Brown Butter Maple Syrup
For the waffles:
2 cups all purpose flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
1.5 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
For the fried chicken:
1.5-2 lbs chicken breast tenders
1.5 cups buttermilk
1.5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the brown butter maple syrup:
1 stick butter (salted or unsalted, your preference)
1 cup real maple syrup
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
1. Sift together all dry ingredients for the waffles and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, buttermilk and pumpkin puree until smooth and completely incorporated. Whisk all of the dry ingredients into wet ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time until completely smooth. Set aside to rest while waffle iron heats. About 15 minutes.
2. Scoop 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into the center of your waffle iron and cook about 1.5-2 minutes until golden. Waffle irons vary, so gauge your time accordingly. As waffles finish, place them on a rimmed baking sheet in a 200F oven to keep warm and continue to crisp slightly.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pot, melt butter over medium-low heat until milk solids begin to brown and the butter gives off a nutty aroma. Carefully add maple syrup and whisk well to completely incorporate. Add salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat until ready to serve.
4. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot with about 3” of canola oil (use any oil you prefer to fry with). While oil heats, mix flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Create a dredging station with chicken in one dish, flour mixture in another dish, and finally the buttermilk in a third dish.
5. Place each chicken tender (only a few at a time) into dry ingredients and coat completely. Shake off excess flour, dip into buttermilk, allow excess liquid to drip off, place chicken back into dry ingredients to coat completely (this is adequate for a light crispy coating. If you like extra crunch, repeat the process one more time).
6. Fry chicken tenders in batches of no more than 6 to keep the oil hot. Fry for 6 minutes, flipping half way through, until completely crisp and golden. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess grease. Place fried chicken tenders into oven with waffles until all chicken is cooked and you are ready to serve.
7. Warm the syrup before pouring over the chicken & waffles. Enjoy!