Recommended Pairing: Cast Wines 2017 Grey Palm Zinfandel
BUCATINI WITH SAUSAGE, MUSHROOMS, WHITE WINE + PARMESAN,
A.K.A. PIGGY PASTA
1 package of bucatini pasta (linguine is a close 2nd)
1-lb bulk spicy italian sausage (use sweet italian if you are sensitive to heat)
1/2-lb cremini mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1-cup dry white wine
1-cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a rapid boil.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed 12”-skillet (use the largest straight-sided skillet you own). Add Italian sausage and cook over medium-low heat until sausage is cooked and fat is well rendered.
3. Add shallot and quartered mushrooms to pan with sausage and cook in rendered fat, until mushrooms begin to brown, about 8 minutes.
4. Add pasta to boiling water. Be aware of directed cooking time on package, as you will want to remove pasta 2 minutes shy of package instructions.
5. While pasta cooks, add garlic to sausage & mushrooms and sauté just until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add wine and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom and sides of the pan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes.
6. Reserve 1-cup of the starchy pasta water just before draining pasta. Once drained (do not rinse!), add pasta to the pan with the sausage and mushrooms. Add 1/2 of the reserved pasta water, toss to combine and continue to cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
7. Add cheese and stir thoroughly. Add salt + pepper to taste. **If your pasta seems very dry (which should not be the case) add a little more of the starchy pasta water until it has reached your desired moisture level.
8. Garnish with parsley, more cheese and optional red chili flakes.